Stuffed Green Peppers
4 large squatty green peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
½ cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon additional salt
¼ teaspoon additional pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
½ teaspoon garlic salt
fine dry bread crumbs
Makes 4 servings
1. Wash peppers. Cut thin slice from stem end of each; remove membranes and seeds.
2. Cook peppers in boiling salted water to cover for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with dry towels; sprinkle insides and out with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain in a colander.
5. Transfer to a bowl and stir in next four ingredients, mixing well. Stuff peppers with mixture and place peppers upright in a baking dish.
6. Mix garlic salt into tomato sauce. Pour sauce over and around peppers in dish. Sprinkle tops of peppers with bread crumbs.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.