Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large red onion, finely diced (about 2 cups)
8 slices whole-wheat bread
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
3 ounces pepper jack cheese, thinly sliced
1 large or 2 medium rip beefsteak or hothouse tomatoes, sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden and the edges are browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Divide the cheddar cheese between 4 slices of the bread.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of the caramelized onions on top of the cheddar, then top with the pepper jack.
4. Place 1 or 2 slices of tomato on the cheese and the other slice of bread on top.
5. Clean and dry the skillet, then coat with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Place one of the sandwiches in the skillet and weigh down with a heavy skillet or plate. Lower the heat to medium-low and grill until the underside is a deep brown but not burnt and the cheese is partially melted, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the sandwich and grill the other side until it’s nicely colored, another 4 to 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve hot. Repeat with other sandwiches.
Total Fat 18g