1 egg, beaten
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese, can be substituted with Gruyere or Swiss
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Roll the puff pastry sheets out on a floured surface to make them a little larger and thinner. Set 1 sheet aside in the refrigerator.
3. Brush the sheet of pastry that is out with the beaten egg.
4. Sprinkle with the cheeses, seeds, and seasonings evenly over the egg-washed pastry.
5. Get the other sheet out of the refrigerator and brush one side of it with the beaten egg.
6. Place the second piece of pastry, egg-wash side down, onto the cheese-covered pastry sheet. Press down gently on the top sheet of pastry to help the cheese adhere to the pastry inside.
7. With a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut 1-inch wide strips lengthwise from pastry.
8. Pick up each strip at the ends and twist several times and set on the prepared baking sheet and press down on the ends.
9. Refrigerate the straws for at least 15 minutes before baking. (They can also be frozen and baked later.)
10. Bake the straws for 15 minutes. Remove them from the sheet pan when they have cooled.