Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Nothing says summer like old fashioned strawberry shortcake. With a crumbly cake filled with sweet, sun kissed strawberries and fresh whipped cream; this recipe is a delightful taste of summertime in every morsel.
2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1. Combine strawberries and sugar; set aside for about an hour so a good amount of juice forms.
2. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly.
3. In another bowl, beat egg; add vanilla extract and cream. Add to crumb mixture, stirring only until moist.
4. Pat into a greased 8-in. square or round baking pan. Bake at 450 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
Directions for whipped cream:
1. In a large mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar and stir to combine.
2. Cover and chill the bowl and beaters in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form. The whipped cream will hold for several hours in the refrigerator.
1. Cut the cake in half and place the bottom half of the cake on a plate.
2. Top with half of the strawberries and whipped cream. Place the top half of the cake on the strawberries.
3. Top with the rest of the whipped cream and strawberries. If there is any juice from the strawberries, drizzle a little over the top of the cake.