This is a basic old fashioned molasses cookie recipe. You must use dark molasses, the flavor is unbeatable!
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup water
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Beat sugar and shortening in large bowl with electric mixeron medium speed. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Cover and chill at least 3 hours until dough is firm.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into 3-inch circles, then sprinkle with sugar.
5. Place on greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Cool 2 minutes then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.