For delicious slow-cooked sauce that tastes fresh from the farm. Great use for those almost turned tomatoes.
2 onions, minced
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra as needed
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
½ cup dry red wine
¼ cup Minute tapioca
2 bay leaves
7 pounds tomatoes (about 14 large)
¼ cup minced fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1. Microwave onions, tomato paste, oil, garlic, and oregano in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
2. Stir wine, tapioca, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
3. Core and peel tomatoes, then transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook until tomatoes are very soft and beginning to disintegrate, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
4. Discard bay leaves. Mash tomatoes until mostly smooth with potato masher. Transfer sauce mixture to large Dutch over and simmer over medium-high heat until thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Before serving, stir in basil and season with salt, pepper, and additional extra-virgin olive oil to taste.