1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 large head cabbage
5 pounds potatoes
2 small onions
1/2 cup rice, uncooked
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 (28 ounce) can Italian style tomatoes, undrained
1 large apple, peeled and sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Add vinegar to a bowl of cold water large enough to hold potatoes. Peel potatoes and place into cold water bath. (The water bath will prevent the grated potatoes from browning too quickly.)
2. Parboil cabbage and separate the leaves.
3. Slice off part of the heavy stalk of each leaf by slicing parallel to the leaf (do not cut into the leaf).
4. Grate potatoes, small inner leaves of cabbage, and one of the onions. (Do not store the grated potatoes in cold water. The water will cause the starch to leak out of grated potatoes and prevent them from sticking together when cooking.) Mix together in a large bowl.
5. Add rice, salt, and black pepper.
6. Add butter to potato mixture, mixing well.
7. Set aside two or three of the largest cabbage leaves.
8. Fill each remaining cabbage leaf with approximately 2 Tablespoons of the potato mixture.
9. Fold up bottom of leaf, then fold in the sides, and roll up. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
10. Slice the reserved leaves and line the bottom of crock pot with them.
11. Slice second onion and layer on top of cabbage. Add tomatoes with their juices, the apple, and ginger.
12. Place rolled stuffed cabbages on top of everything in the crockpot.
13. Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.