Yield: 8 scones
Exchanges per scone:
¼ cup currants
¼ cup boiling water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons granulated brown sugar substitute
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1 8-ounce carton vanilla nonfat yogurt sweetened with aspartame
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white, lightly beaten
No-sugar-added fruit spread (optional)
1. Combine currants and water; let stand 10 minutes. Drain well, and set aside.
2. Combine all-purpose flour and next 5 ingredients; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add currants; toss well. Add yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour evenly over work surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times.
4. Pat dough into an 8-inch round on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut round into 8 wedges, cutting to, but not through, bottom of dough. Brush wedges with egg white.
5. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with no-sugar-added fruit spread, if desired (spread not included in analysis).
Easy 30 Minute Meals
Not just entrees, these are complete meals that take 30 minutes from the kitchen to the table ... without sacrificing great taste!