Yield: 8 scones
Exchanges per scone:
¼ cup currants
¼ cup boiling water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons granulated brown sugar substitute
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1 8-ounce carton vanilla nonfat yogurt sweetened with aspartame
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white, lightly beaten
No-sugar-added fruit spread (optional)
1. Combine currants and water; let stand 10 minutes. Drain well, and set aside.
2. Combine all-purpose flour and next 5 ingredients; cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add currants; toss well. Add yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour evenly over work surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times.
4. Pat dough into an 8-inch round on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut round into 8 wedges, cutting to, but not through, bottom of dough. Brush wedges with egg white.
5. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with no-sugar-added fruit spread, if desired (spread not included in analysis).