Harvest Corn Muffins
Yield: 18 muffins
Exchanges per muffin: 1 Starch
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated brown sugar substitute
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
1 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons diced pimiento, drained
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Vegetable cooking spray
½ cup (2 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add brown sugar substitute, oregano, and white pepper. Make a well in center of mixture.
2. Combine pumpkin and next 6 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling two-thirds full.
4. Sprinkle cheese over batter.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans immediately.