Hot Spinach Dip
Yield: 12 servings, 4 bread cubes and 2 ½ tablespoons dip
Exchanges per serving:
1 1-pound round loaf sourdough bread
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped onion
¼ cup evaporated skimmed milk
3 ounces light process cream cheese
¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
2 teaspoons low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 2-ounce jar diced pimiento, drained
1. Cut off top one-fourth of loaf; set top aside.
2. Hollow out center of loaf to form a shell about ½ inch thick.
3. Cut bread from center and top of loaf into 48 1-inch cubes.
4. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
5. Cook spinach according to package directions, omitting salt; drain well, reserving ¼ cup liquid. Set spinach and liquid aside.
6. Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
7. Add flour and onion; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
8. Gradually add reserved spinach liquid and milk; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
9. Add cream cheese and next 5 ingredients, stirring until cheeses melt.
10. Stir in spinach and pimiento. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
11. Spoon mixture into bread round; serve with bread cubes.