Poppy Seed Pretzels
Yield: 16 pretzels
Exchanges per pretzel: 1 starch
1 cup water
2 tablespoons margarine
1 16-ounce package hot roll mix
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1. Combine 1 cup water and margarine in a small saucepan; heat until margarine melts, stirring occasionally. Cool to 120 to 130 degrees F.
2. Combine roll mix and yeast from packet in a large mixing bowl.
3. Gradually add margarine mixture and beaten egg white, beating at medium speed of an electric mixture 4 minutes or until blended.
4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon flour evenly over work surface.
5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
6. Divide dough into 16 equal portions.
7. Roll each portion into a 22-inch rope. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape.
8. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
9. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water; mix well.
10. Brush pretzels with egg white mixture; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
11. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
12. Let cool on wire racks.