1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites
2 drops red food coloring
1/2 cup candy-coated milk chocolate eggs
1 cup flaked coconut
4 drops green food coloring
1. Cream butter or margarine and shortening. Add 1 cup sugar gradually, beating until mixture resembles whipped cream.
2. Sift flour and baking powder together 3 times; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and almond extract. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites carefully. Pour batter into two greased 8 inch round pans.
3. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Cool layers on wire racks.
4. To Make Boiled Icing: Place 1 cup sugar, water, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cream of tartar, 2 egg whites, and red food coloring in top of double boiler. Cook, beating constantly, until frosting is thick and creamy.
5. Frost cake with icing. Make a nest of green coconut on top of cake, and fill nest with candy eggs. Sprinkle a border of coconut around base of cake. Makes 15-20 servings.
6. To make green tinted coconut, Place coconut in a large plastic bag, put a few drops of green food color in the bag and shake until desired consistency is achieved.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.