Spicy Shrimp and Broccoli
This super easy dish can easily be adjusted so that little ones who don't like spicy foods will still love it. You can also leave out the peanuts if there are any allergy issues without sacrificing any of the amazing taste of this Oriental inspired dinner.
½ cup water
¼ cup sake, rice wine or chicken broth
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili puree with garlic
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
¾ pound fresh or frozen (thawed) uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped gingerroot
1½ cups broccoli flowerets
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
4 medium green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
⅓ cup peanuts
4 cups hot cooked rice
1. Mix water, sake, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce and chili puree.
2. Heat wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add oil; rotate wok to coat side.
3. Add shrimp, garlic and gingerroot; stir-fry 1 minute.
4. Add broccoli, bell pepper and onions; stir-fry until shrimp are pink and firm.
5. Stir in sake mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
6. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve over rice.