6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup thick and chunky salsa (medium or mild)
16 (8 inch) flour tortillas
4 cups four cheese Mexican shredded cheese
6 one quart freezer bags
2 one gallon freezer bag, labeled
On hand for each entrée:
1. In a large skillet with 4 tablespoons olive oil, brown the chicken on medium high heat until no longer pink. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the cooked chicken in a bowl, set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet. Sauté the onion, green pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano until tender. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook until heated through, stirring often. Stir in the salsa and heat for one minute. Set the pan aside.
3. Divide the chicken mixture evenly between 2 one-quart freezer bags; seal and set aside. Place 8 flour tortillas into 2 one-quart freezer bags; set aside. Divide cheese evenly between 2 one-quart freezer bags. Place one bag chicken mixture, one bag tortillas, and one bag of cheese into each of the one-gallon freezer bags.
1. Remove one entrée from the freezer and place in the refrigerator to thaw completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a large sheet pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
3. For each chimichanga, place ½ cup of the chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the cheese on top. Fold in the opposite sides of the tortilla over the chicken mixture. Roll up the tortilla, enclosing the mixture, and place it seam-side down on the sheet pan. Make the rest of the Chimichangas and place them on the sheet pan. Spray the tops of the Chimichangas with nonstick spray. Bake 10 minutes.Serve with sour cream.
Yield: 2 entrees, 8 Chimichangas each
Freeze up to: 3 months