Tonight’s dinner is a creamy, delicious bisque with ravioli and crispy, flavorful bread that will leave you full without that weighed-down feeling.
Butternut Bisque with Ravioli Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, pulp and seeds removed and cut into cubes
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup fat-free half and half or buttermilk
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces cheese-filled ravioli
1 gallon freezer bag, labeled
1 quart freezer bag, filled with half of ravioli, labeled
1. In a large non-stick pot, melt the butter and sauté the onion until tender.
2. Add the squash, broth, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
3. In batches, pour soup with cream cheese and half and half into food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook ravioli according to package directions, then add to soup. Eat when ready.
Makes 2 entrees each entree serves 4, serving size 1 cup
Do not cook ravioli before freezing. Cool soup to room temperature, transfer to freezer bag and freeze up to 3 months.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in a non-stick pot over low heat. Prepare ravioli according to package directions and add to heated bisque.
Diabetic Exchanges: ½ lean meat, 2 starch, ½ fat
Herb Cheese Bread Ingredients:
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup reduced-fat margarine
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread, halved lengthwise
¾ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. In a small nonstick skillet, sauté onions and garlic in margarine for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the seasonings. Brush over cut sides of French bread; sprinkle with cheese.
2. Wrap each piece of bread loosely in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cut each piece into six slices. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings
Cholesterol 5 mg
Diabetic Exchange: 1½ starch, 1 fat
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!