3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup light cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup candied cherries; quartered
1. Combine sugar, salt, cream, milk, corn syrup and butter in a large heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boiling. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer reaches 238F. (soft-ball stage)
3. Remove from heat, leaving thermometer in the saucepan. Cool to 100 degrees F.
4. Add vanilla. Beat briskly until fudge thickens and begins to lose its gloss. Stir in cherries.
5. Pour into buttered 8" square pan. Cool. Cut into squares when firm. Makes 1 3/4 pounds.