Healthy Stir-Fried Beef and Vegetables Recipe
2 Tablespoons dry red wine
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon sugar
1½ teaspoons gingerroot, peeled, grated
1 lb. boneless round steak, fat trimmed, cut across grain into 1 1/2-inch strips
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, rinsed, trimmed, sliced
2 stalks (½ cup) celery, bias cut into ¼-inch slices
2 small green peppers, cut into thin lengthwise strips
1 cup water chestnuts, drained, sliced
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup water
1. Prepare marinade by mixing together wine, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger.
2. Marinate meat in mixture while preparing vegetables.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet or wok. Stir-fry onions and mushrooms for 3 minutes over medium-high heat.
4. Add celery and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining vegetables and cook for 2 minutes or until green pepper is tender but crisp. Transfer vegetables to warm bowl.
5. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Stir-fry meat in oil for about 2 minutes, or until meat loses its pink color.
6. Blend cornstarch and water. Stir into meat. Cook and stir until thickened. Then return vegetables to skillet. Stir gently and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 6 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 201 mg
Total fiber: 3 g
Protein: 17 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Potassium: 552 mg