Combine two family favorites into these delicious healthy burgers. Serve with sweet potato fries and a side salad with low fat dressing.
1¼ cups purchased meatless spaghetti sauce
½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
⅓ cup chopped onion (1 small)
1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium green, yellow, and/or red sweet peppers, cut into rings and halved
1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
8 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
1. In a large bowl beat egg and ¼ cup of the spaghetti sauce with a whisk. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, basil, and garlic. Add beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into eight ½-inch-thick patties.
2. Tear off an 18x12-inch pieces of heavy foil. Place sweet pepper pieces in center of foil; drizzle with oil. Bring up 2 opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold; fold in remaining edges to enclose the peppers, leaving space for steam to build.
3. For a charcoal grill, place patties and foil packet on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill for 10 to 13 minutes or until meat is done (160°F) and peppers are tender, turning patties and foil packet once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties and packet on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 cup spaghetti sauce. Serve patties on rolls with pepper pieces and cheese. Spoon some of the heated spaghetti sauce over burgers. Pass any remaining spaghetti sauce.
Serving size: 1 burger
Total Fat: 18 g
Sat: 6 g
Protein: 32 g
Carb: 42 g
Fiber: 0 g
Cholesterol: 106 mg
Sodium: 742 mg
Food and Recipes Menu
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes