1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
¼ cup chopped onion
1 can (14½ ounces) stewed tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 cup salsa
1. In a nonstick frying pan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
2. Drain the juice from the stewed tomatoes into the beef mixture, then dice the tomatoes. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, chili powder, sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the mixture.
5. Place shredded lettuce and a single layer of tortilla chips on each plate; top with taco mixture and 2 Tablespoons salsa.
Makes 8 servings
One serving (¾ cup) equals:
18 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat)
38 mg cholesterol
641 mg sodium
44 grams carbohydrate
5 grams fiber
20 grams protein