Mama Shirley had a knack for putting a few simple ingredients together that would bring everyone into the kitchen in no time. While this recipe wasn't exactly a dessert, it was a treat that appeared like microwave popcorn does now.
It was for tv-watching when the Wizard of Oz came on (once a year back then), for snowy days when we were chilled to the bone hours before we actually came in the house, and for days when we'd walk in the door from school needing a little bit of a lift for whatever reason.
You can use frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries, she made it both ways and there really wasn't a difference in taste. Just don't thaw the frozen berries first, use them right from the freezer.
2 cups unbleached flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg
¾ cup plus 1 Tablespoon milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tablespoon cinnamon mixed with 3 Tablespoons sugar (optional, for topping)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable spray or lightly coat it with butter.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two butter knives until it is pea-sized. Set the mixture aside.
4. Beat the egg in a small bowl, then beat in the milk. Set aside.
5. Add the blueberries to the dry mixture, then quickly add the egg mixture to this, stirring until just moistened (it will be sticky).
6. Pat the dough out to ½ inch thickness on the baking sheet (about a 9x12 inch rectangle). Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar topping if using.
7. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until slightly risen and browned, about 10-12 minutes. Break apart and serve hot, spread with a little bit of butter if desired.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!