1 (¼ oz.) packet dry yeast
¼ cup water, warmed to 115°F
1 cup large curd cottage cheese, heated to lukewarm
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon onion flakes
1 Tablespoon butter, softened to room temperature
2 teaspoons dill seed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
2 to 2 ½ cups flour
Softened butter, for brushing
Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Dissolve yeast in water and set aside in a warm place to proof for about 10 minutes. Mixture will bubble when yeast is proofed.
2. Mix cottage cheese, sugar, onion flakes, butter, dill seed, salt, baking soda, egg, and proofed yeast in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
3. Add flour gradually, beating well after each addition, to make a stiff dough. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough, and turn into well buttered 8 inch round ovenproof casserole dish. Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
5. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn bread out of dish, brush top with soft butter, and sprinkle with salt. Cool bread on rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. Store leftover bread wrapped in wax paper at room temperature.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!