¼ cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
¼ cup cold butter, cut into ½ inch dice
Pastry for single crust pie, chilled (see recipe below)
½ cup molasses
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup water, heated to just under a boil
Makes 8 slices
1. To make the streusel: place sugar in a medium bowl. Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger on a sheet of wax paper and add to sugar. Work in butter with fingers until the texture resembles coarse sand.
2. Make the crust (see below). Coat a 9 inch ovenproof glass pie pan with vegetable spray. Roll out pastry dough. Fit into bottom of pie plate and trim off excess. Chill is refrigerator.
3. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Place molasses in a bowl. Dissolve baking soda in water and add to molasses, stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour into prepared pie shell.
5. Sprinkle streusel over surface of pie and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake another 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into pie comes out clean.
6. Place pie on rack and cool completely before cutting. Store leftover pie loosely wrapped in wax paper in the refrigerator.
2 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into 16 slices
¼ cup ice water
1 egg, beaten
1. Place dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse three time to mix.
2. Add butter and pulse until crumbly. Add ice water. Pulse until mixture comes together.
3. Remove dough from bowl or processor, divide in half, and shape each half into a disk. Depending on how warm your kitchen is, you may have to chill the dough before rolling out to avoid sticking.