3 to 4 pounds chicken parts
salt and pepper
1/4 cup oil
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Makes 4-6 servings
1. Cut the chicken legs to separate the thighs and drumsticks. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper lightly.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of chicken pieces to the pan, do not crowd pieces.
3. Cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
4. Add the mushrooms and diced onion to the Dutch oven and saute until the onion is softened (about 3 minutes).
5. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
6. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomatoes, wine, basil and oregano.
8. Add the flour and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.