2 cups dried red kidney beans
1 quart cold water
1 cup thinly sliced, peeled onions
2 minced cloves garlic
1/3 cup minced, green pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 - 2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons cold water
Makes 6 servings
1. Wash beans, cover with 1 quart water, and let soak covered, several hours or overnight. Drain, reserving five cups of the liquid.
2. Add the liquid back into the beans with all but last 3 ingredients.
3. Cover, cook 2 ½ hours, or until tender, adding boiling water if necessary.
4. Add salt during last hour of cooking, stirring gently with a fork.
5. About 15 minutes before done, mix chili powder with 2 tablespoons cold water and stir in.