Ritz cracker brand came up with this recipe and to the disbelief of pie eaters everywhere, it tastes like apple pie. It became a fad in the 60s, not because apples were unaffordable but because the pie was a conversation piece...apple pie made from crackers that tastes really good!
pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie (recipe here)
36 Ritz round crackers, coarsely crushed
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter
1. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside.
2. Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and cool.
3. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie.
5. Trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely before slicing.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!