Ritz Mock Apple Pie Recipe
Ritz cracker brand came up with this recipe and to the disbelief of pie eaters everywhere, it tastes like apple pie. It became a fad in the 60s, not because apples were unaffordable but because the pie was a conversation piece...apple pie made from crackers that tastes really good!
Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie
pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie
36 Ritz round crackers, coarsely crushed
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter
1. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside.
2. Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and cool.
3. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie.
5. Trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely before slicing.