Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Whipped Cinnamon Topping
1 pound (2 medium) sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and kept warm
1/4 cup butter
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked pastry shell (9-inch)
Pecan Topping Ingredients:
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 cup chopped pecans
Creamy Cinnamon Whipped Topping Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. With mixer, beat hot yams and butter until smooth.
2. Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and eggs. Mix well. Pour into crust.
3. Bake 20 minutes.
4. While pie is baking, prepare pecan topping by beating together the egg, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and maple flavoring. Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.
5. Remove pie from oven; reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon the pecan topping on top of the pie.
6. Bake 25 minutes longer or until set. Cool. Serve with Creamy Cinnamon Whipped Topping.
To make cinnamon whipped topping:
1. In a medium bowl that has been chilled, beat heavy cream.
2. Slowly add cinnamon and sugar, and beat to medium stiff peaks.