Hearty Sweet Potato Pie
2 sweet potatoes, or yams
1 medium russet potatoe
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg fresh, grated
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pie shell (9 inch) unbaked
1. Place all potatoes in a 3-quart saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat, cook until potatoes are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Drain and peel.
3. In a medium bowl, combine potatoes, butter, nutmeg and brown sugar.
4. With a potato masher, cream the mixture until very smooth.
5. In a small bowl, beat eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk and vanilla together. Beat this mixture into the potatoes, mising thoroughly.
6. Pour into pie crust and drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of milk on top.
7. Bake 15 minutes in a preheated 450 degree oven, then reduce heat to 325 degree and continue baking for 30 minutes or more until the filling is set.