1½ pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14½ ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 (14 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
8 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
2 cups reduced-fat sour cream (16 ounces)
11 sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese (8 ounces)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
1. In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onions, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. Stir in tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
4. Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Top with half of the meat sauce, sour cream, and provolone cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
5. Cover and bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese begins to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Total Fat 15g
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1½ starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat