Quick and Easy Skillet Shepherd's Pie
1½ pounds russet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1½ pounds ground beef
1 onion, minced
salt and black pepper
¼ cup flour
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup half-and-half
2 cups frozen peas and carrots or corn, thawed
1. Cover potatoes with 1 inch water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
2. While potatoes are simmering, cook ground beef in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until almost cooked through (about 3 minutes).
3. Drain all but 1 Tablespoon fat from the skillet.
4. Return skillet to medium heat. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well blended (about 1 minute).
6. Slowly whisk in broth, thyme, and Worcestershire; scraping up browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
7. Return drained ground beef to skillet, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until sauce is thickened (6 to 8 minutes).
8. Drain potatoes, return to pot, and mash with a potato masher.
9. Stir in butter, then half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm.
10. Stir peas and carrots into beef mixture and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve filling topped with mashed potatoes. Makes 4 servings.
You might also like: