At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Makeover Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce, divided
1 Tablespoon sherry or reduced sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
2 Tablespoons plus ⅓ cup cornstarch, divided
2 Tablespoons sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 cups hot cooked rice
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder, and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup.
3. In a small bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, sugar, and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in vinegar, ketchup and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.
4. Drain chicken and discard marinade.
5. Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
6. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
7. Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
8. Add chicken and reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.
Yield: 4 servings
1 cup chicken mixture with ½ cup rice equals:
6 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
63 mg cholesterol
571 mg sodium
65 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
26 g protein