- 1 pound white bread slices (dried in a 250°F oven for 1 hour, about 10 to 12 cups torn)
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- ½ cup milk, scalded
- 3 containers of fresh or canned oysters (16 to 24 ounces total) drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté onion and celery in butter.
- Tear the dried bread up into a large bowl; sprinkle with warm milk then toss to coat.
- Add onion and celery mixture and the drained oysters.
- Stir gently to mix ingredients together. Sprinkle with lemon juice, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly but gently.