When preparing ham, or any type of pork dish, the meat can really benefit from a sweet, fruity taste. The recipe we have here takes it to the next level with the addition of sweet red wine and dried cherries.
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3–1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 5 ounces dried cherries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 7 pounds fully-cooked bone-in spiral-sliced ham
- 1 large size oven bag
- Stir the cornstarch and chicken stock in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add the allspice and cook for 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir the wine, cherries and brown sugar in the skillet and heat to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture in the skillet. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Place the oven bag into a 3-quart shallow baking pan. Place the ham into the oven bag.
- Pour the cherry glaze over the ham. Close the bag with the bag tie.
- Cut 6 (1/2-inch) slits in the top of the bag.
- Bake at 250°F. for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the ham is heated through.
- Remove the ham from the oven bag to a serving platter. Spoon some of the cherry glaze over the ham.
- Serve the remaining cherry glaze with the ham. Serves 18.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry cooking wine, how to glaze ham with wine