- 4 medium sized yams
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2–3 large Vidalia sweet Onions
- 6 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Fresh ground pepper
- Cook yams in oven for about 1 hour at 400°F. Make sure they are soft to the touch when done.
- In a sauté pan (non-stick), combine the margarine and onions (slice, then chopped). Let onions soften. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon into the sauté pan. Let it caramelize the onions.
- When potatoes are done, peel off the skins and put into a large serving bowl. Mush them up a little, add a little bit of butter.
- Then take the onion mixture, drain, and pour them on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with a little more brown sugar and fresh ground pepper.