- 1 whole 12-15 pound fresh turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion
- 3–4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven 350°F. Rinse turkey inside and out thoroughly.
- Season cavity and the outside with salt and pepper.
- Place onion in cavity, close with skewer and tie legs together.
- Place turkey breast-side up on rack in a large roasting pan. Brush half melted butter over turkey.
- Pour ½ cup stock into pan.
- Roast turkey for 15 minutes per pound or until meat thermometer registers 180°F in the leg and 170°F in the breast (about 3 hours).
- Baste turkey with pan juices and add ½ cup stock to pan every 45 minutes.
- Combine remaining butter with syrup and brush over turkey the last half hour of cooking.