- 2 pie crusts
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon bitters (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 can (29 ounce) pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounce) evaporated milk
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- Mix sugars, flour, butters, and spices in large bowl.
- Stir in egg; set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over low heat.
- Add pumpkin, simmer, stirring occasionally until purée thickens slightly, 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir hot pumpkin into sugar mix, stir in evaporated milk, milk and 1 cup water. If desired, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare crusts.
- Preheat to 450°F.
- Spread half the praline mix in each crust. Bake until praline is golden brown and bubbly, around 10 minutes; cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temp to 400°F.
- Pour half pumpkin filling into each crust; smooth top with spatula.
- Bake until pumpkin is firm and crusts are golden brown, about 1 hour. Cool completely and serve.
- Garnish with whipped cream or topping, if desired.