Banana Brown Betty
2 ½ cups finely crushed chocolate cookie crumbs (Oreos with filling removed work well)
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
½ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ripe bananas, sliced into ½ inch rounds
1. Make crumb mixture by mixing together in a medium bowl chocolate cookie crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and butter.
2. Make filling mixture: Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
3. In a heavy pan, bring milk to a simmer. With an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt until thick and pale yellow.
4. Gradually pour half of milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly, then whisk this mixture gradually into milk in pan.
5. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, 1 minute (do not overcook).
6. Remove from heat and stir for 1 minute. Add vanilla. Fold bananas into hot custard.
7. Gently press half of crumb mixture into bottom of a 9-inch baking dish.
8. Top with banana mixture, then remaining crumbs.
9. Bake until top has browned and starts to bubble, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas and Recipes
- 4 to 7 Ingredient Dinner Recipes
- 30 Minute Meals
- Dinner Meal Plans
- Crock Pot Recipes
- Freezer Cooking Recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Mama Shirleys Recipes
- Barbecue Recipes
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes
Easy 30 Minute Meals
Not just entrees, these are complete meals that take 30 minutes from the kitchen to the table ... without sacrificing great taste!