This recipe is made with plenty of real bananas and a hint of vanilla to create the perfect taste.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 7 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (12-oz) vanilla wafers
- 9 ripe medium bananas, peeled & sliced
- Combine sugar, flour, and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well, and set aside.
- Pour milk into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until candy thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
- Gradually stir one-fourth of hot milk into yolks; stir into reserved dry ingredients, and add to remaining hot milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Let cool to room temperature. Line bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with one-third of the vanilla wafers.
- Arrange half of banana slices over wafers; top with half of cooled custard. Repeat layers, reserving one-third of wafers to crumble and sprinkle over custard.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 2 Hours
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American