This has all the flavor of a longer cooking, more complicated beef stew but with only 7 ingredients and easy oven baking. Serve over steak fries for a poutine-like main meal.
- 4 pounds beef brisket
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
1. Cover meat with boiling water.
2. Add vegetables and seasonings.
3. Simmer until tender about 3 hours.
4. Remove meat from liquid, place in shallow baking dish.
5. Reserve 2 cups of the beef-onion stock. Add the chopped tomato and stir.
6. Spread egg over meat; sprinkle with dry bread crumbs.
7. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until brown.
8. Make an onion sauce with reserved beef-onion stock and serve with meat.
9. Serve over steak fries if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brisket in oven, cooking brisket