Chicken and dumplings is a dish that involves cooking chicken in water and then using the resulting broth to boil the dumplings.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespooons butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cover the chicken with water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Strain and save the broth and let the chicken cool.
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones. Discard the skin and bones, cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Skim the chicken fat off the surface of the broth and discard.
- To make the dumplings : Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork until well blended.
- Mix the egg and milk together in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and knead for a few seconds, until just mixed. If the dough is sticky, add more flour.
- Heat the broth to a simmer in a large pot. Add the carrots, onion, celery, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- With a large spoon, pull the dumpling dough apart into rough shaped balls the size of a walnut (do not press to form). Carefully drop the dumplings into the broth.
- Cover and reduce the heat so the broth is barely simmering. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through. Overcooking will make the dumplings mushy.
- Place the cooked chicken into a large bowl or glass baking dish and ladle the hot broth, vegetables, and dumplings over the top. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stewing
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: soup dumplings, chinese dumplings recipe