- 24 chocolate wafers
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups cranberries
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- ½ cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor or blender, process wafers until finely ground.
- Stir ground wafers together with ¼ cup melted butter and press into the bottom and partway up the sides of an 8-inch spring-form pan. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan over medium heat, simmer cranberries, corn syrup, sugar and water for 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Place in a bowl and chill until cold.
- Spread half the softened ice cream over the frozen crust. Drizzle all but ⅓ cup of the cold cranberry mixture over the ice cream. Top with remaining ice cream. Draw a knife through the layers to marble. Freeze 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Spread remaining ⅓ cup cranberry mixture over top of frozen dessert and freeze 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, chop pistachios finely and place in a small skillet over medium heat with 1 Tablespoon butter and salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute, until fragrant. Set aside to cool
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in cooled pistachios and spread cream over chilled cake.
- Freeze 30 minutes, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and freeze 4 hours.
- To unmold, wrap a hot, dampened towel around the sides of the pan for 1 to 2 minutes. Then remove the sides of the pan.