Ice cream cake is double the fun. This cranberry ice cream swirl cake combines smooth, rich vanilla ice cream with a decadent chocolate wafer crust, complete with a hint of pistachio and tart cranberries.
Making your own cakes at home can be a wonderful hobby and a huge money-saver. When you're looking for affordable kids' birthday party ideas, homemade cakes are always at the top of the list. Making cake at home is also an excellent way to cut back on sugar, lower the calorie count and accommodate dietary needs like gluten-free and diabetic.
Homemade Ice Cream Cakes
This cranberry ice cream swirl cake is much simpler than you think; some people struggle to master even a simple cake with a pre-made mix, so the thought of making an ice cream cake that doesn't turn into a pile of goop seems impossible. But don't worry!
This cranberry ice cream swirl cake recipe is super easy, and lots of fun. The taste is also more elegant than most standard cakes, so adults will be able to enjoy it just as much as kids.
The best part? This is a no-bake cake! All you have to do is whip up the ingredients and freeze them for at least four hours. If you want to make a special anniversary cake or birthday cake for your partner, this delicious, smooth recipe is just what you need.
Ice cream cakes can also be made with various flavors. If you are a chocolate lover, then by all means, swap out that vanilla for your favorite brand. You may even decide to use this cranberry ice cream swirl cake recipe as a base for future cakes, mixing in different ice creams like chocolate chip cookie dough.
Dairy-Free Ice Cream Cakes
Being lactose intolerant can make you feel like you're missing out on so much. Children are likely to feel especially left out during the holidays and at birthday parties. Since the majority of desserts rely on dairy products to come together, learning how to perfect a dairy-free version of this cranberry swirl ice cream cake will be the ultimate win in a dairy-free household.
There are several emerging brands of non-dairy ice cream on the market. You may have better luck finding them in organic supermarkets like Whole Foods if your local grocery store doesn't have any.
By simply swapping out the ice cream and condensed cream for dairy-free alternatives, you can make a delicious cake that's perfect for people with dietary restrictions or who follows a vegan diet.
Quick and Easy Desserts for Every Day of the Week
Got a sweet tooth? So do we. That's why we have a huge collection of easy desserts you can whip up any time. Check out some of our homemade cake recipes, as well as some healthy dessert choices like a yummy fruit pizza and spiced white pudding.Print
- 24 chocolate wafers
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups cranberries
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- ½ cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor or blender, process wafers until finely ground.
- Stir ground wafers together with ¼ cup melted butter and press into the bottom and partway up the sides of an 8-inch spring-form pan. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan over medium heat, simmer cranberries, corn syrup, sugar and water for 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Place in a bowl and chill until cold.
- Spread half the softened ice cream over the frozen crust. Drizzle all but ⅓ cup of the cold cranberry mixture over the ice cream. Top with remaining ice cream. Draw a knife through the layers to marble. Freeze 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Spread remaining ⅓ cup cranberry mixture over top of frozen dessert and freeze 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, chop pistachios finely and place in a small skillet over medium heat with 1 Tablespoon butter and salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute, until fragrant. Set aside to cool
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in cooled pistachios and spread cream over chilled cake.
- Freeze 30 minutes, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and freeze 4 hours.
- To unmold, wrap a hot, dampened towel around the sides of the pan for 1 to 2 minutes. Then remove the sides of the pan.