One reason cheesecake is so terrific is that it can be mixed with any number of flavors to make it a delicious dessert anyone will love.
One popular type of cheesecake is the turtle cheesecake.
When we think of turtle, we think of anything that is flavored with chocolate, caramel and nuts. But why name this combination after a reptile?
Well the name originates with candies that were made by covering clusters of pecans with caramel and chocolate. Once they formed, they resembled a turtle, hence the name.
Today, there are several treats that are made with these ingredients included, all of which are called turtle. There are turtle sundaes, turtle cookies, turtle sundaes….and the list goes on.
The turtle flavorings are the perfect complement for the cheesecake. The richness of the pecans, chocolate and caramel is ideal when combined with the creamy cake and the textures work well together as a whole.
We offer two recipes for the turtle cheesecake. One has the chocolate mixed into the cheesecake itself and one has the chocolate drizzled on top only.
The one with the chocolate mixed in is perfect for chocolate lovers everywhere. The recipe with the chocolate drizzled on top is great for those who like chocolate but would rather not make the full commitment!
Both recipes have a light flakey crust and the wonderful mix of cheesecake, caramel, chocolate and nuts.
You may think that a cheesecake like this should only be served on special occasions. But you can surprise your family by serving it any day of the week to make your boring old weekday an event! Serve it on its own, with coffee or a dollop of whipped cream to truly elevate its taste.
This is a mouth watering Turtle Cheesecake recipe created with smooth caramel and rich chocolate.
It’s a superbly satisfying dessert, worth every single calorie.
Cheesecake Factory Clone
This recipe for turtle cheesecake doesn't have the chocolate mixed in the cheesecake itself (the recipe below does), it is drizzled on top along with the caramel.
2 1/2 cups graham crackers
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
Crust Layer 2:
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 Cup chopped pecans
3 (8 ounces each) packages cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 whole eggs
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup hot fudge, heated
10 melted caramels
1. Mix together graham crackers, sugar and melted butter. Bake in 9 inch springform pan for 10 minutes. Cool
Crust Layer 2:
1. Place caramels and milk in microwave, melt on medium power.
2. Pour over cooled crust, and sprinkle on the 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
1. Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; scraping side of bowl to ensure creaminess.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
3. Pour this mixture over the caramel layer on top of the crust.
4. Bake at 325 degrees F until center is set (approximately 30-40 minutes).
1. Arrange pecans around outside edge of cheesecake, drizzle top with melted caramel and hot fudge.
Turtle Cheesecake #2
This version combines the chocolate into the cheesecake, making the flavors blend as wonderfully as a piece of deliciously decadent turtle candy.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
14 ounces individually wrapped caramels
1 cup chopped pecans
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Melt the butter and combine with the vanilla wafer crumbs. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Place the evaporated milk in a 1-1/2 quart heavy saucepan, and melt the caramels in it over low heat. Heat and stir frequently until smooth. Pour mixture onto crust, and top with pecans.
3. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla; beat well until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after adding each egg.
4. Melt the chocolate, and combine with the cream cheese mixture. Pour over the caramel pecan mixture in springform pan.
5. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Loosen cake from the edges of pan, but do not remove rim until cooled. Chill completely. Garnish with whipped cream and drizzled chocolate if desired.