Fruit pizza is easy to put together and is a certain crowd pleaser. Not only are they delightful to look at, but fruit pizza provides a bit of a healthful alternative to typical high-fat desserts.
Arrange the fruit in an attractive pattern, choosing fruits that represent a variety of colors and shapes.
Cookie dough is commonly used for the crust in fruit pizza, but in the second fruit pizza recipe on the next page, you can enjoy the crunch of rice cereal mixed with butter and marshmallows for a different variation. Changing the flavor and texture of the crust is an easy way to create your own kind of fruit pizza.
Below is the traditional fruit pizza recipe,following that is the recipe for Rice Krispie Treat Fruit Pizza.
Fruit Pizza Recipe
1 package refrigerated sugar cookie dough (slice and bake type)
1 pk (8-oz) cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup strawberries
1 cup bananas
1 cup fresh or canned peach slices
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 Tablespoon water
1. Slice the cookie dough thin.
2. Place cookie slices on a 14 inch pizza pan, overlapping slightly.
3. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool slightly.
4. Cream together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Spread evenly on cooled cookie crust.
5. Starting at center, put strawberries, then a circle of banana slices; next a circle of peach slices; and last a circle of blueberries. If this does not completely cover pizza pan, add another circle of fresh fruit, like kiwi or fresh white grapes.
6. Mix orange marmalade and water and pour evenly over the fruit as a glaze. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
Rice Krispie Treat Fruit Pizza Recipe
1/4 cup butter
32 large marshmallows
5 cups crisp rice cereal
8 ounces cream cheese
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
16 strawberries, halved
1 banana, peeled and sliced
2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
2 Tablespoons apricot jam
1 1/2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan combine the butter and marshmallows. Stir over low heat until melted. Remove pan from heat and stir in the crisp rice cereal.
2. Prepare a pizza pan by lightly coating with vegetable oil spray. Press the cereal mixture evenly onto the pizza pan. Place into the refrigerator to cool.
3. To make the sauce, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa in a small bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread evenly over the pizza crust.
4. Arrange the strawberries, bananas, and kiwi slices over the crust to look like pizza toppings.
5. In a small cup, mix together the apricot jam with the water. Dab onto the fruit with a brush. This will keep the fruit from turning brown.
6. Whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff, drop dabs of whipped cream onto the pizza. Slice like a pizza, but thinner. This is a very rich dessert.