If you are looking to embrace this recipe for crispy Norwegian potatoes, then you will definitely need to prepare yourself for the fact that this is a much bigger undertaking than your average potato dish.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks (8 cups)
- 4 cups sliced (¼ inch rounds) carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 inch by 13 inch ovenproof glass baking dish with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Melt ½ cup of the butter in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Remove to prepared baking dish.
- Add enough boiling water to cover vegetables. Cover with foil and place in oven. Bake about 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Remove from oven. Drain vegetables in a colander.
- Line a 17 inch by 11 inch jelly roll pan with foil, shiny side up, and coat with vegetable spray.
- Arrange vegetables in an even layer in prepared pan.
- Melt remaining ½ cup butter and pour over vegetables. Return to oven and bake for 55 minutes, shaking pan every 15 minutes, until brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Nordic
Keywords: norwegian potatoes, potato lefse