The dates in this bread recipe add moistness with a rich flavor that doesn’t overpower the bread itself. Serve warm with generous swirls of butter for a pre-Thanksgiving breakfast treat that won’t overstuff everyone before the main event.
- 1½ cups hot water
- 1½ cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease loaf pan.
- Pour the hot water over the dates and let stand until cooled.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together, then add the sugar and salt.
- Stir in the cooled dates and water.
- Add the melted butter, beaten egg, vanilla and walnuts.
- Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a toothpick insert near the center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool on a wire rack.