Who exactly is Johnny Marzetti? Is it a casserole that is named after someone or is it just a catch-all title for a casserole that consists largely of many Italian flavors blended together? Well, the answer is not exactly apparent because Johnny Marzetti is not quite a household name by any means.
- 12 ounces rotini pasta (about 4½ cups)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2½ cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (5 to 7 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and sausage, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, breaking up any large clumps with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a simmer, and cook until the flavors are blended, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sprinkle 1¼ cups of the Italian cheese blend evenly over the pasta. Pour the meat mixture over the pasta and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1¼ cups of the cheese evenly over the meat mixture.
- Place the baking dish on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Cover dish with heavy aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes; until the sauce is bubbling. Remove the foil and bake an additional 8 minutes until the top is slightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: johnny marzetti, johnny marzetti casserole recipe