We have provided two pie crust recipes here, one for a butter crust and one for a traditional shortening crust.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, cold
- 3 Tablespoons ice water
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl, cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms an even dough.
- Form dough into ball and refrigerate, wrapped in plastic, for 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into circle about 12 to 14 inches round.
- Carefully fold in quarters, lift gently and unfold into 9-inch pie pan.
- Gently press pastry against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, then fold the edge under. Pinch edges to flute.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pie crust, how to make pie crust