Quick and easy doesn’t mean unhealthy with this recipe. Reduced sodium, fresh veggies, and good grains balance out sausage perfectly and deliciously.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound cooked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dried orzo
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and coarsely chopped, about 2 ½ cups
- ⅓ cup (1 inch) pieces green onion
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook sausage in hot oil about 2 minutes or until brown.
- Stir in orzo; cook and stir about 1 minute.
- Stir in beef broth plus ½ cup water and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 8 minutes or until orzo is tender, adding the zucchini during the last 4 minutes or cooking and stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; stir in green onion. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: orzo frittata, what is orzo