Sausage and Orzo
Quick and easy doesn’t mean unhealthy with this recipe. Reduced sodium, fresh veggies, and good grains balance out sausage perfectly and deliciously.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound cooked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup dried orzo
1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and coarsely chopped, about 2 ½ cups
⅓ cup (1 inch) pieces green onion
1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Cook sausage in hot oil about 2 minutes or until brown.
3. Stir in orzo; cook and stir about 1 minute.
4. Stir in beef broth plus ½ cup water and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 8 minutes or until orzo is tender, adding the zucchini during the last 4 minutes or cooking and stirring occasionally.
5. Uncover; stir in green onion. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Total Fat 24g