Traditional stuffed pepper with a filling of ground beef, onions, rice and tomato sauce and it makes a healthy dinner that the whole family is sure to enjoy.
- 4 large squatty green peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon additional salt
- ¼ teaspoon additional pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- fine dry bread crumbs
- Wash peppers. Cut thin slice from stem end of each; remove membranes and seeds.
- Cook peppers in boiling salted water to cover for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with dry towels; sprinkle insides and out with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain in a colander.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in next four ingredients, mixing well. Stuff peppers with mixture and place peppers upright in a baking dish.
- Mix garlic salt into tomato sauce. Pour sauce over and around peppers in dish. Sprinkle tops of peppers with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy stuffed pepper recipe, green pepper recipes